To use the calculator:
The SyNE calculator calculates three nitrogen-related indicators (SyNE, SyNB, RNE) at the farm scale.
SyNE – System Nitrogen Efficiency – estimates nitrogen efficiency of a farming system. It is based on NUE (Nitrogen Use Efficiency) and improves upon it in several ways; in particular, it takes into account changes in soil nitrogen and considers nitrogen losses production of inputs. SyNE must be used in combination with SyNB – System Nitrogen Balance – which estimates nitrogen loss at the system scale. As animals have lower nitrogen efficiency than plants, RNE – Relative Nitrogen Efficiency – expresses efficiency relative to the attainable efficiency of crop and animal products.
The indicators were developed by Matthieu Carof, Olivier Godinot, and colleagues. They are described in details in Olivier's Ph.D. thesis and in the following articles: “SyNE: An improved indicator to assess nitrogen efficiency of farming systems” published in Agricultural Systems and “Relative nitrogen efficiency, a new indicator to assess crop livestock farming systems” published in Agronomy for Sustainable Development.
Current version is available for farms producing cash crops, forage crops, and dairy cows. It is available free of charge, with all the limitations of a research work.
|New to SyNE calculator? Sign up for a new account!||Already a user? Sign in to your account!|
|– Purchase field: enter only the fertilizer / manure purchased or imported free-of-cost.
– Transfer field for fertilizers: enter only the fertilizer (previously purchased or imported free-of-cost) that was later transferred.
– Transfer field for manure: enter only the manure (previously purchased, imported free-of-cost, or produced on the farm) that was transferred.
– Initial stock and Final stock fields: enter only the stock of fertilizer / manure input (purchased or imported free-of-cost).
– Note that urea is classified as an inorganic fertilizer.
|– Initial headcount field: number of animals within a category at the beginning of the fiscal year plus number of births during the fiscal year.
– Purchase field: number of animals that were purchased or imported free-of-cost during the fiscal year.
– Internal transfer fields: number of animals that were transferred from one category to another during the fiscal year.
– Transfer field: number of animals that were sold, exported free-of-cost, consumed by the farm household or that died during the fiscal year.
– Final headcount field: number of animals within a category at the end of the fiscal year.
|Consumption by the farm household must be added to the quantity.
In the current version, only one type of milk (cow, goat, or sheep) can be entered, even if you raise multiple dairy species.
|Consumption by the farm household must be added to the number.
In the current version, only one type of egg can be entered, even if you raise multiple poultry species.
|– Purchase field: enter only the feed purchased or imported free-of-cost.
– Transfer field: enter only the feed (previously purchased or imported free-of-cost) that was later transferred.
– Initial stock and Final stock fields: enter only the stock of feed input (purchased or imported free-of-cost).
– In the current version, only one type of milk product for animal feed (milk powder) is available.
This website, www.nefficiencycalculator.fr, is owned and maintained by AGROCAMPUS OUEST, a public scientific, cultural and professional institution under the authority of the Ministry of Agriculture.
65 rue de Saint-Brieuc
F-35042 Rennes cedex
Director of publication: Grégoire Thomas, Director General of AGROCAMPUS OUEST
Editorial design and Conception: Matthieu Carof, Lecturer at AGROCAMPUS OUEST
Hosting: IT System Department of AGROCAMPUS OUEST
AGROCAMPUS OUEST expressly disclaims all responsibility with regard to the information on this website. SyNE calculator is provided free of charge, as is.
Personal Data protection
As the user, you are informed, in accordance with article 34 of the data protection, files and civil liberties law of January 6, 1978 (n°78-17), that any optional data you may choose to provide when completing the form located on the Website, are intended only for AGROCAMPUS OUEST, for administrative management purposes. You are informed that you have a right to access, rectify and delete all personal data regarding you by writing to calc-syne[at]agrocampus-ouest.fr.
The general reproduction structure of texts, animated images or otherwise and any other component of the Website are the sole property of AGROCAMPUS OUEST. Any total or partial representation of this Website by any process whatsoever without the express authorization of AGROCAMPUS OUEST is forbidden and shall constitute unauthorized reproduction penalized by articles L.335-2 et seq. of the Code of intellectual property. All of the rights of reproduction are reserved, including downloadable documents. Downloadable documents are also protected by copyright.
This Website is protected by the provisions of the Intellectual Property Code.